Oleg Tudorean from Moldova is an amazingly talented sportsman. He combines training and performances in two sports – armwrestling and powerlifting. Moreover, not only combines, but do in both at the highest level. This year he managed to become European champion in armwrestling and powerlifting, world champion in armwrestling, and is now preparing for the World Powerlifting Championship.
Oleg, how did you feel after the Worlds? How long did it take you to recover?
- I felt very well after the Worlds in armwrestling. I recovered quickly, I had two weeks to fully recover. After I started training for powerlifting.
Almost after the Worlds in armwrestling, you took part at the European Powerlifting Championships. Tell us about your results?
- Yes, after the Armwrestling World Championships I took part in the European Powerlifting Championship for individual types – bench press, squat, deadlift. I competed in the junior age category and won gold in every type. My final results: squats – 170 kg, bench press – 140 kg, deadlift – 230 kg. Speaking on the bench press, after the first approach I wanted to break the record of Europe in this category – 153 kg. Unfortunately, I couldn’t, but the result of the first approach was enough to stay first.
How do you combine workouts and performances at a high level in two sports? Does one interfere another?
- I train six days a week. In one day I'm training in armwrestling, the next day training in powerlifting. It turns out three workouts a week for powerlifting and three training in armwrestling, of which two workouts are special exercises and one training is sparring. None of the sports does not interfere with the other, on the contrary, it only helps me, and especially the deadlift helps to strengthen the grip and fingers.
Your next competition – armwrestling or powerlifting?
- My next performance will be in powerlifting. Now I am preparing to participate at the World Championship, which will be held in Boston, USA, on November 3-5. I want to win gold at this tournament to finish the year with dignity.
Which of your teammates are going to pull at the Zloty Tur? How do you assess their chances?
- Daniel Prokopchuk and Mihaela Lazar will come to the Zloty Tur. I think, Daniel will be the champion this time. At the Worlds, he was able to win his main rival – Mindaugas Taraasitis, who is the favorite in the category on the Zloty Tur. I can say that Mihaela will stand on the pedestal. This will be her first performance among professionals, and I hope she will pull at a high level, because she is very hard preparing for this tournament.