Kydyrgali has been in armwrestling for about 15 years. He is experienced and technical. As rivals he has athletes who weigh much more than him, but the performance of Ongarbaev once again proved that it is not only a matter of volume, but of skill. How did he manage to defeat the giant Kurdecha?
Kydyrgali, what do you remember Malaysia?
- The people of Malaysia met us very well, and we were introduced to the wonderful places of Kuching, the city where the tournament was held. Thanks to the organizers of the tournament for this opportunity!
Has the first round that you lost shattered your self-confidence?
- In the first round ... I have not met Alex before, so it would be nice to know what to do at that moment. It would increase my confidence.
How did you manage to keep such a huge mass of an opponent on a dead wrist? Or was this your idea?
- My opponent was taller and heavier than me. I realized that I can defeat him only with strength. Alex had his own trick, but I realized that if I stopped him, I could win. Therefore, the hand in such a strange position still did not prevent me from overpowering him.
Did this fight suit you? Did you try to change tactics?
- After the second meeting, I noticed that Alex was exhausted, and I put a lot of effort to change my tactics. The people of Kazakhstan looked at me. I had to meet the expectations of my country!
What would you advise Alex to pay attention to in further training?
- Alex is a strong athlete who has cleverly and intelligently developed his own style of armwrestling. I think it would be best if he worked on endurance. I also wish him good luck in the upcoming meetings.
Looks like you became a star at home... What can you say about this? How did the club take your win?
- First of all, I would like to thank my friends and colleagues, and also Arman Karsybaev, who became my coach and my father, and the entire sports club Shardara Armsport. This victory could not be achieved alone. And my sports club, which became my family, met me with great enthusiasm. This is a great honor for me. And this is a great victory!