Maciej, at every competition I see your excellent work at the table. It has been rated. How did you respond to the title of best referee?
- First, it was a big surprise! During the presentation of memorable gifts to the referee, the organizer did not let me go to the stage immediately. I did not know what was going on. When the commentator said that he was inviting the best referee of the championship to the stage, I didn’t believe it. Awesome emotions!
What is for you – to be referee in our sport?
- This is not a profession; this is a passion. I like it! I could not wait to go to the European Championship. I was counting the days for this event.
What are the impressions after?
- The first two days – junior starts with a new category of 14-16 years. Despite such a young age, the athletes were very well prepared. Personally, I was a little afraid of fighting in dangerous positions, because at this age the muscles and tendons are not yet 100% developed, but ... everything went without injury, and I am very glad about it. The next two days are the starts of athletes with disabilities - I like to judge these fights. I admire the dedication, sporting stubbornness of those people who, despite their state of health, travel thousands of kilometers to fight not only with an opponent, but with themselves – my little reflection – let's take an example from them. The last two days are senior. I can only say one thing: armwrestling at the highest level.
How much time did you spend at the table?
- I spent most of the time at the table, which I remember. After returning to the hotel, when everyone was preparing for the party, I... I slept like a dead, tired, but VERY happy. Now a little rest and autumn trip to the Worlds in Romania.
Thank you for the interview and congratulations again!
- I warmly greet all armwrestlers and not only!