David immediately selected in the Top 8 up to 95 kg, and this tournament is today the pinnacle of professional armwrestling. And in order to introduce armwrestling fans a little better with this athlete, we interviewed him a little.
David, how long have you started armwrestling?
- I was a doing a judo previously and occasionally pulled with friends at the table, but when I finished my career in judo, in 2015, I started training in armwrestling. In judo, I was the champion of Armenia and international competitions, practiced professionally, but I was injured and eventually left this sport.
It's good that you could find yourself in armwrestling. Do you have a coach?
- When I was doing judo, I participated in the Armenian armwrestling championship among men and took second place on the left and right hand. And then Arman Piroyan, who is my coach now, suggested that I train armwrestling with him.
So you actually got into the final of the championship of Armenia without necessary preparation?
- Well, I periodically fought with the guys and had an idea about this sport, but I didn’t practice armwrestling specifically.
This is a serious indicator! Tell a little about your training.
- In training, I almost do not do general exercises, only if there are no competitions and in easy mode. Mostly I work with iron, because with sparring partners we have a little trouble, we can not always get together. About once a month we gather and pull normally.
What are your favorite exercises and are there any records?
- I mainly work out the brachioradialis with dumbbell, do biceps with the barbell, and work on the table with the block. But I'm not chasing the scales. I know some guys who lift more than I, but at the table they can do nothing to me. Therefore, I am a supporter of the correct technique.
What armwrestling competitions do you remember the best and what victory are you most pleased with?
- My most memorable victory was when I was 19 years old and I won the European Championship in senior class. And the fact that at the same competitions and 2 years before I won gold in juniors up to 21 years old with my left and right hand. Of course, I thank God for all this.
Why did you decide to switch to professional armwrestling?
- I won the European Championship enough times, 5 times, and the World - 6 times. Nowhere else to move, so to speak, for my interest. Yes, it's nice to win, but professional armwrestling is a completely different level, there are no weak people here and everyone knows what they are subscribing to.
What are your goals in professional armwrestling? Win Top 8 - and you can end your career, or are you here for a long time?
- By the will of God, of course. If God wishes, I would like to stay here for a long time and fight well.
You were selected in the Top 8 to 95kg, how do you assess your chances in the first round and in general?
- All rivals are strong, I will fight for all 100%, and of course, I will strive for victory, and the rest - by the will of God.
And who would you like to get in the first round?
- Let's say, with any of the 4 “champions” whom I can get, I will fight hard, no sparing myself. For me it is no matter who I meet, with all due respect to my rivals.
Decent position! Thanks for the answers and good luck with your preparations!