It seemed that we know almost everything about Evgeny Prudnik. He works in the theater, sings well and dances. But how does he manage to combine all this? Is there really anything else he can surprise? ()
It seemed that we know almost everything about Evgeny Prudnik. He works in the theater, sings well and dances. But how does he manage to combine all this?
Evgeny, how long have you been doing arm wrestling?
- Since March 2005. 14 years. During this time, I won six world championships, and I have more than 100 medals in total.
There is some confusion with your anthropometric data, let's clarify, what are your current biceps, forearm, and total weight indicators?
- Maximum biceps size was 49 cm and weight was 108 kg. The forearm is about 47. I always have a forearm that is almost level with the biceps.
Did you practice any kind of sport before armwrestling, and if so, how long?
- Since childhood, he was engaged in acrobatics, from 6 to 9 years. From 9 to 11 in swimming. From 11 to 15 - judo. Complied with the standards of the candidate of master of sports in swimming, but I didn’t get documents. I won the military training competition already in high school, although I was engaged in swimming in my childhood. In judo, I won regional competitions, but did not get to a high level, because I switched to learning. And all this time since childhood I worked on the horizontal bars. Dad showed me different exercises when I was a child, but I didn’t have the strength at that time, and when I did, he explained the tricks right on me.
What pushed you to armwrestling? As far as is known, it was at the university.
- I moved to study in Dnepropetrovsk and just went to the gym. There was a guy who was involved in weightlifting, then it was together with armwrestling. The guys arranged armwrestling competitions between faculties, and my colleague from the faculty invited me to fight. In my childhood I also tried to pull like everyone else after watching Sylvester Stallone: I was 9 years old, and I pulled with a 15-year-old boy. Everyone was cheering for me, but it seemed to us that we could not move from the spot. I remembered how Stallone made a “cobra” at the movie, and I thought that I had to do the same, but I just opened and closed my fingers and I won! Although then it seemed that I had done just such move as Stallone, and it gave me strength. So, at the competition of the faculty there were three categories, and in one of them the champion of Ukraine in armwrestling pulled, and in the second, another guy who was also in armwrestling, and I won him. And I was also surprised that the champion of Ukraine beat a guy who was twice his size. It seemed to me that he was made of iron, could not believe that he was so strong. A couple of months later I was invited to more serious competitions, I trained for a week before them. Then he took third place in the championship area. Then I had a weight of 78 kg. And on the Ukrainian nationals I came third too! But I thought that it was undeserved, and I got on easy rivals. So I went through the first season in the sport.
How do you build the training process, are these planned long-term trainings or more intuitive training?
- Intuitive training. It depends on my condition. If I have an exercise that is new for me, then I try to load my hand to the maximum to get used to the movement and memorize it, then I just give rest, and then work on it again. So I was preparing for different championships. But if the exercise stops working already at a high level, then I give myself rest and recover.
What is your attitude to general exercises, do you think you can increase the strength indicators in general exercises such as the bench press?
- I started doing bench press just before the Top-8 because of interest. Reached the mark of 160 kg for 5 times. I decided not to test myself at the maximum weight for one repetition in order not to get injured.
What is your attitude to training sparring, how often they pass, how hard you try to give all the best to them?
- Usually I do not have such strong rivals, therefore, to spar a pack at the very end of the training, when I’m almost exhausted.
Can any athlete come to your training sparring matches?
- Yes, I'm all for it.
Do you train alone?
- Yes. Nobody controls me at training; otherwise, I’m not getting anything. I do not like training schemes. I train intuitively, at will. If I feel that, for example, the power exercise is not going, I splite it differently.