Darek Gabrynowicz loves armwrestling and, despite adversity, many years later returned to training. This year, in his "second debut", he finished third and second in the World Cup among disabled. He promises: "There will be gold in a year"! ()
First there was a serious illness and childhood in the hospital ...
Darek was born prematurely in 1965.
Darek Gabrynowicz: Because of premature birth I had cerebral palsy of the lower extremities. I spent all my childhood in hospitals, often far from home. I saw my parents and two sisters (Christina and Bogusia) as on holidays - every six months. I suffered muscle atrophy, spastic muscle paralysis, now I have reduced Achilles and leading tendons.
Then in life there was a sport.
- It was very difficult to cope with this, but I somehow managed to. In the fight against disease, sport always helped me. I swam, played football, table tennis, but all these sports did not absorb me the way it happened with armwrestling later.
More and more sports:
- After I accepted the treatment and returned to Lembork after graduation, I started working at the Disabled Cooperative. There I enrolled in the sports section, where I did a benchpress, played badminton and practiced other sports. There I met my wife Theresa, whom I later married. We have three children – Robert, Beata and Violetta.
In particular, armwrestling!
- My adventures in arm wrestling began in 2000. My friend Eligus Grotta came to me and invited me to take part in the first Zloty Tur in Gdynia in the club "TORNADO" in the category of disabled. I've never done armwrestling before. When I arrived at the Tornado, I was sure that I would take one of the last places. All the athletes were very well prepared for the competition.
Darek felt morale!
- After the first two fights, I felt morale. I noticed that I have a chance to win. Then I gave all 100% and took first place. I won the cup and 500 zł. I met Igor Mazurenko there, he told me that after this competition I can confidently represent Poland at the tenth European championship, which also was to take place in the club TORNADO.
- I decided to participate in this championship, which also took place in 2000, and won two bronze medals in both hands in the OPEN category among disabled. Then I started to participate in small armwrestling tournaments that took place in Lembork.
Until March 2006, Darek participated in many competitions, from local to international. Usually he was on the podium. However, this did not last long...
Last competitions and challenges...
- The last competition, where I took part, was held in Jaworzno on 29-30.04.2006. This was the sixth armwrestling championship in Poland. I finished third in both hands in the OPEN category.