He played football, hates cooking and has a great sense of humor. This is all about Levan Saginashvili. How does a Georgian giant live apart from arm wrestling? ()
Despite his invincible power, Levan Saginashvili came to arm wrestling quite late, at the age of 20. Then he had already had a football career.
Levan, when did you first see armwrestlers?
- The first time I saw an arm wrestling table in a fitness club, where I came just to train. There was my future coach, Lado Khutsishvili, it was just his gym. When he saw me, he called me to the table and spoke to me for a long time that my hand is very suitable for armwrestling. Then I weighed about 80 kg, I was 19 years old. And I started studying somewhere in a year, at 20.
How did you go to school?
- I did not like to go to school. But I had a favorite subject - geography. And unloved was the Russian language. I knew Russian well from childhood, it happened. I learned it from movies, from cartoons, probably. But the teacher thought to the end that of my studies that I did not know a word, I just kept silent in class, just sat strictly.
What do you work?
- Athlete (laughs - auth.). I do this professionally and it turns out well. In fact, it is hard, a lot of things have to be done. But it was not always, only the last few years. And before that I changed a lot of employers.
And what did you want to be in childhood?
- Footballer. We had a team, I played well, in defense. But I had to stop because of physical problems.
I grew up very quickly, and because of this, from 15 to 18 years old, I had allergic attacks, I was suffocating.
How did you understand that you can achieve a lot in arm wrestling?
- Probably, when the coach first spoke to me, I immediately believed him, he instilled confidence in me. Then, when in 2012, I win Genadi Kivikvinia. He was very strong then, did not feel any of ours. And I only trained for two years and won.
How many times have you won Genadi after this?
- I do not know. I think he has more, because when I started, he was already the champion of Georgia.
What could be the challenge for you? Why do you win?
- I do not think that I win, rather ... I do not want to lose. This is the biggest motivation, I do not want to end the match loser.
You recently participated in a cooking show. Do you like to cook?
- No, I do not like and can not (laughs - auth.). I immediately warned everyone about it and only cut potatoes for the whole program. At home, my mother cooks. Usually I eat three times a day, and not too much.
How do parents relate to your career?
- They worry that I'm getting bigger. It happens when mom or dad comes into the room and doesn't expect me there, they get scared (laughs – auth.). They want me to decrease a little. Now I weigh about 170 kg and I feel great.
What do you do first when you win the Top-8?
- With the Top-8 prize money, it’s possible to buy a small apartment in Tbilisi, and probably will do so.
Evgeny Prudnik: armwrestling and theater
Expertise: Kurdecha vs Ongarbaev
Expertise: Saginashvili vs Bresnan
Vitaly Laletin: People often compare me to Stallone hero